From: Tiago Saboga <tiagosaboga@terra.com.br>
Date: 27 janvier 2007 03:03:49 HNJ
To: OmegaT@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [OmT] debian package

Hi!

The debian packages for omegat (1.6.1_03) are ready for testing, and they
are available at http://saboga.serveftp.com:8001.

The easiest way to install it (debian etch/sid, I suppose it'll work for
sarge too) is to put the following two lines in your sources.list:

deb http://saboga.serveftp.com:8001/ etch non-free
deb-src http://saboga.serveftp.com:8001/ sid non-free

and then run, as root:

# apt-get update
# apt-get install omegat

If you want to see the sources, just type

$ apt-get source omegat

and they'll be downloaded and unpacked in the current directory.

The binary package is 1.9MB long, and the source is 2.1MB. They depend on
sun-java5 packages available in debian testing/unstable non-free
section. I opted to put omegat in non-free section as long as the issues
mentioned in the README file (see below) are not sorted out.

Henry talked about putting the creation of omegat packages in the build scripts, and I've searched a little around to see what's common practice
adna advices for this case.

There's an ongoing thread in debian-mentors mailing list about this, and
everybody says to keep the debian packaging out of the normal build
process of the app. AFAICS, there are 2 main reasons for that: first,
there's no need of re-uploading the original sources to debian if the
only changes where in the packaging stuff; second, all debian packages
are subject to non-maintainers uploads, mostly for security reasons, and
this could lead to problematic paths.

But OTOH, it would be great if the debian packaging files (in fact, a
directory, named debian) could be stored in OmegaT's cvs, but it should not be exported when preparing the release. I'm not really familiar with
versioning systems, but I think it can be done without pain.

I will paste below the files where I logged the decisions taken to
package OmegaT.

If you have any questions, suggestions or comments, feel free to mail me
on- or off-list.

The packages are hosted in my personal computer, so they are not
available 24/24 and I don't have enough bandwidth for letting it here
permanently. So, the next step (after testing) is IMHO to set up an apt
repository in sourceforge.

Tiago Saboga.

###########   debian/README.Debian   ################

omegat for Debian
-----------------

This package is not suited for inclusion in Debian; in this file I
keep track of the problems for inclusion in Debian proper.

* The source archive available at sourceforge is not source-only, as
it contains the jar files for three libraries: htmlparser, MRJAdapter
and vldocking.
    ** MRJAdapter is a Mac-only library, so I'm removing it from the
    source.
    ** htmlparser build-depends on maven2, which has an ITP (intent to
    package) bug (#323050) open since august 2005.
    ** vldocking, AFAICS, can be packaged for debian; it will be done
    soon.

* The package does not install in fhs directories, but rather in a
single dir. All installation is hence done in debian files, and some
patches have to be applied as to install files in debian canonical
locations.
    ** jar files are installed in /usr/share/java
    ** bash wrapper is installed in /usr/bin
    ** docs are installed in /usr/share/doc/omegat/html

-- Tiago Saboga <tiagosaboga@gmail.com> Sun, 10 Dec 2006 21:09:11 -0200

############## debian/README.Debian-source  #################

Source is distributed in a zipped file and a binary library has to be
removed (see README.Debian). The steps are the following:

unzip <source-file> -d omegat-<version>.orig
rm omegat-<version>.orig/lib/MRJAdapter*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
IRC channel: irc://irc.freenode.net/omegat
For bug reports, feature requests, OmegaT test versions etc...
Go to: http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/
To localize OmegaT to your language, or proofread existing translations,
read: http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat_en/translation-info.html
If OmegaT makes you richer than you need, check the Pine Ridge Reservation's charities for a donation: http:// www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: