Re: [Translation-i18n] gettext with non-en source language

On 9/26/06, Bruno Haible <bruno@clisp.org> wrote:
The bigger problem is to get translators which understand this
non-English language. Translators from, say, Spanish to Hungarian
are more difficult to find than translators from English to Hungarian.

That is not always the case. It may be the case in English-speaking
countries, but if I live in Hungary, a quick glance in the local
yellow pages looking for Spanish translators will probably give me
more results for Spanish to Hungarian translators, rather than Spanish
to English to Hungarian translators...

gettext's English-centredness (which to large parts is historical, but
in some cases still exists, like in the handling of plural forms) is
both a blessing for our community where English is the UI default, as
much as it is a nuisance in other real-life software development where
the local language is the one that is targeted primarily, and is the
one that you would want in the msgids and base your other future
translations on.

Christian