Re: Using "language packs" in Debian Installer

On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 02:53:33AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Saturday 09 September 2006 13:28, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > Since there was some misconception of what language packages are, I
> > have written a description of what they are and how they are used.
>
> IMO language packages as described by Javier are not the correct solution
> for the installer for two important reasons:
(...)

I described language packs in the general context of how translations are
handled in Debian, not the specific case of d-i. Please see
http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/TranslationDataDistribution
and
http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/LanguagePacks

(..)
> There are currently two issues with having so many translations in the
> installer, both of which need to be addressed:

Actually, on the Extremadura meetings some other issues where brought up. I'm
not aware of d-i's internals enough to decide if there are issues or not.
Could you please review the notes from that session to see if they are
accurate? They are available at
http://wiki.debian.org/I18n/Extremadura2006ModularizingD-I

The only option in that list I wrote similar to the one you provided is the
one that "cleans" templates (removes unused languages) after the
localechooser step (and idea similar to the one locale-purge uses, but
applied to debconf information).

Going further with that idea: would it make sense to provide all debconf
templates in each udeb divided per language and installed (by udpkg,
optionally compressed as you suggest) at
/var/cache/debconf/<locale>/templates.dat?  Once the user has selected a
locale anna (or udpkg) could remove automatically all the contents of
/var/cache/debconf/<locale> for all locales different to the one the user
selected and then merge the information available there into
/var/cache/debconf/templates.dat (or have cdebconf load both files into
memory to offer translations if available).

Would that be feasible? The advantage over your proposal is that unused
locales would be removed right after udeb installation (they would still be
provided by the udeb though), reducing memory footprint for the RAM disk. It
would require additional logic in udpkg (or anna), however.

Regards

Javier