Re: Copying translations from d-i to manual?

Hi Tapio,

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 12:37:04PM +0300, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> Has anyone created some automatic way to compare msgid in
> debian-installer and the installation guide and copy translations from
> installer to manual if msgid are identical?

There is really no need to reinvent the wheel. msgmerge supports the option
--compendium and copies all found translations in the specified file into
your current PO file.

> I noticed lots of same msgids in menu item names, and checking them
> from installer is kind of boring and repetitive.

You nevertheless have to do this at least for GUI menu items. I don't know now the
corresponding XML tag but it should be something like <guimenu>. These item strings
(such as "Open a Shell") should match in the manual and the level 1 PO file.

Jens