Re: Summary of Debconf i18n activities

On 5/24/06, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:
> I see all the talk done about Pootle and the other project, but as I
> said before, please think about TransDict if you are willing to talk
> about specific projects.

You maybe will think that's a bit rude but so far we've decided to go
with Wordforge. The main reason is not technical, but more a bet on
the future. Wordforge.org has proven to be a reliable partner and has
already show thei commitment and openess.

I'll be rude: their openess comes from the fact that they don't have a
functional project and they are in the stage at which they are
collecting ideas;

OTOH, TransDict is quite mature, has been used for quite some time, it
has most of the features which Debian needs already available and the
reliability part, may I say "have you tried to see how much things you
need to be done in TransDict from what you are aiming?" It is a moot
point for Denis to talk about implementing these features when he
already did that in the past and they _are_ working.

If TransDict proves itself to be viable solution for Debian, Debian
could become heavily involved in its development, after all, it _is_
free software.

And, frankly, I think that
the project has a wider scope.

I am not sure by which criteria you have cocluded this, but I would be
curios to find out.

This does not completely rule Transdict out. If some parts of the
interface are interesting enough, I see no reason for not being able
to plug them.

Does this will to integrate TransDict into WordForge comes from NIH syndrome?

Why not perfect and improve TransDict since it _is_ already available
working and not waste effort and energy on a brand new project which
will reimplement TransDict in another form.

--
Regards,
EddyP