Debian I18N from a Transdict POV [was: Re: Google summer of code]
On 5/3/06, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 11:36:52PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Reviewing the discussions that happened on the debian-i18n list
> recently would certainly be a good idea.
Specially the paper that we wrote for Debconf6, which details the current
infrastructure. It's currently available at
I added that project to the wiki and the main idea I had is to work on
developing (and implementing?) something that would tie up many of the loose
ends we currently have in Debian's i18n/l10n. Such as translation statistics
(of different elements, from program's PO to debconf note to the d-i), and
translation robots (some teams have those in place now).
I will reparse this from a transdict POV. Currently my tests regarding
it (installation, usability) are on halt, but it has proven its
viablity for quite some time within the Croatian translation team. I
will restart these tests uring this weekend.
We would like to be able to tie that up with some generic interface already
available (like Pootle) but someone needs to assess if:
- it would be viable for Debian i18n/l10n work (since not all the i18n/l10n
sources are PO-based and I believe those frameworks rely heavily on it)
Transdict supports other formats than PO. OO, Mozilla and others were
translated with it.
- it could be improved to have web and e-mail based interfaces useful for
both translators and reviewers
Web inteface avialable, mail interface would have to be implemented
- it could be improved to have translation memories that could be shared
through the different things that are translated in Debian (from
documentation to PO files to package descriptions)
Has translation memory and supports reviewers.
As Christian said, we don't have the slightest idea what would fit our needs
and how it could be engineered. If you want to tackle that idea and turn it
into substance you are welcome aboard!
I will keep everybody informed on this matter while I am working on it.
- I have installed all the necessary dependencies (one was missing
from Debian, but dh-make-perl came to the rescue ;-)
- I have kept notes of the changes needed from a Debian POV
- I am trying to set up the needed configurations.
This has costed me about 3 days until now. I expect that I will manage
to have it running and set up after 2 or three more days of actual
I will be working on the debianization after I have tested a
installation by hand.
Will keep you posted.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein