Re: Splitting up debian.css for the web pages and include quotes

On 12/16/05, Jutta Wrage <jw@witch.westfalen.de> wrote:
> But as far as I can see alternative 1 on my page might be okay (lower
> double 9 and upper double 9, and same as single).

No, neither if the alternatives are corect!

I will repeat, but in another form :)

Accepted quotation marks in Romanian are _only_ the pairs:

U201E+U201D
and
U00AB+U00BB

No other quotation marks are allowed, so
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/diff/by_type/delimiters.html is wrong
to state that U201A+U2019 are ok for Romanian.

> I found that on several other lingusitic sources and you might
> compare taht to romanian books.
> two sources:
> http://www.istrianet.org/istria/linguistics/istrorumeno/alphabet.htm and

Note that Istoromanian is not the same as Romanian.

> http://www.unicode.org/cldr/data/diff/by_type/delimiters.html
>
> >> http://www.witch.westfalen.de/csstest/quotes/quotes-large.html
>
> Seems you did not look there, did you? If the page does not work
> well, I can make images of the quotation marks in large size.

Now I did ;-)

As a conclusion:
- the only valid quotation maks in Romanian are U201E+U201D and U00AB+U00BB;
- the only accepted combining ways for the quotes are only between the
two pairs refered above;
- the pair U201E+U201D is the prefered outer qoutation;
- U00AB+U00BB is accepted also as the outer pair, but strongly
regarded by many as an unusual practice and some say is wrong (but
that might be too strong).

--
Regards,
EddyP