Re: Intent to NMU bindgraph for fixing its l10n bug(s)
Christian Perrier wrote:
Dear Debian maintainer,
The bindgraph Debian package, which you are the maintainer of, has at
least one very longstanding (over 100 days) localisation bug
report. Often, but not always, this means that the package is not very
actively maintained. I'm sending you this mail for checking the
situation and to decide the next necessary steps. If there is some
reason why you haven't fixed the bug yet, or there is something other
you might want to tell me, i will be very happy about any feedback. In
this case please accept my apologies.
Thank you very much for your interest, Christian.
I have already packaged bindgraph v0.2, (with exactly the same debconf
templates, so it won't be a loss), which *should* be released with Sarge.
The upload has not been made because i have lacked the time to properly
test it, but it is already being tested. I expect to be able to give it
the "go ahead" in 3 day's time, which means the upload will happen
during this weekend.
I have the intent to build and possibly upload a non-maintainer upload
for bindgraph in order to fix all its long-time pending
localisation bugs (and these bugs only).
Such changes are always harmless, which explains why I safely consider
building NMU's for such issues even though they're obviously non
I understand and approve of your reasoning. It is only that the upgrade
of the code itself felt more pressing, *and* given that i still don't
have my Debian account, i depend on others to do the uploads.
However, letting l10n bugs sleep in the BTS is simply not giving
translators work the consideration it deserves, as fixing debconf
translations is really a very simple modification to any package.
This makes me call such NMU's "socially important" : when translators
(who often are not official Debian developers but participate in in
creasing our distribution diffusion) see that thei work is taken care
of, they are more and more motivated for contuing their sometimes
I will notify the translators for languages for which the
translation is still incomplete without update sent to the BTS so that
they have a chance to send updates on time.
Perfect. I heartily agree with your reasoning.
Thank you very much for reminding me so much time had passed.
If you'd rather do the fix yourself, I will of course leave the
package alone. Same if you have motivated reasons for not doing the
Already told you, no prob
Indeed. I will take a final look thursday evening before the upload, so
that i can incorporate any new translations as needed.
Please keep email@example.com CC'ed so that all Debian
translators are aware of your intents regarding translation handling.
Of course, any other translator wanting to have bindgraph
debconf templates translated in his/her language is welcome to quickly
work on the templates.pot.gz file which can be found on
You can then send your PO file in the BTS (tagging it "l10n", severity
My appreciation --once again-- to all of you who also make Debian