Re: NEWS.debian translations

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:11:58AM -0500, Joe Drew wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman and I would like to make it possible to translate
> NEWS.Debian so that it is practical to put important information in that
> file and have it displayed in a localized fashion when apt-listchanges
> runs. This is to avoid the proliferation of Debconf warnings/notes for
> things which are not of great importance.
>
> My question to you is: how can we set this up, and in what format would
> such a thing be of greatest utility? I assume po-files, but I'm not up on
> i18n.
> Thanks!

My proposition is to not change anything to the NEWS.Debian. Let it be a
debian changelog as it is now. Then, the translation should be placed in a
po file in the source package, and in a separate file in the binary package
(NEWS.Debian.XX).

The po4a package, which was recently uploaded by Denis to the archive, was
made exactly to ease this kind of process. This project is currently moving
from savannah to alioth, and savannah is still the best place to learn about
it.

Bye, Mt.

--
Programming in Bourne-Shell is a higher form of masochism.