Re: installation report

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 04:19:04PM +0100, Robert Lemmen wrote:
> i tried to install the hurd and finally succeeded to some point (now i
> don't know what to do with it!), but you might be interested in my
> experience, so here it goes:
>
> - i did all of this under a virtualbox and i first installed a very
>   minimal current linux (testing), from there i ran crosshurd
> - i changed /etc/crosshurd/preferences and pinned util-linux from
>   unstable over * from unreleased over * from unstable. perhaps this
>   only means util-linux in unreleased is outdated and should be removed?
>   perhaps we need some script that monitors versions in unreleased an
>   unstable and notifies someone under certain conditions?

The outdated packages now got removed.  I am keeping unreleased pinned
over unstable right now, because the last important package from
debian-ports for a debootstrap is dhcp-client, which is an empty
transitional package to dhcp3-client in sid and we really need the
package from debian-ports for now until dhcp3 gets ported.

> - i also changed /etc/crosshurd/packages/common and added initscripts
>   and insserv, because util-linux now depends on initscripts which in
>   turn complain if insserv isn't installed. since insserv isn't
>   required, i also added a line to the native-isntall script rigth after
>   the unpacking of the reuqired packages to do the same for insserv.

Thanks, I have changed crosshurd accordingly.

>   haven't looked too closely at the dependencies around this (beacuse
>   it's nauseating), but i am not sure if there isn't a serious bug there
>   somewhere: initscripts calls insserv in its setup script, so it should
>   pre-depend on it, and if it does depend on it, doesn't that make
>   insserv required as well? is that really the way to go?

Not really sure either.

> - after native-install i get told some stuff about how to run the
>   console, which doesn't seem to work, perhaps that is outdated?

Could be, can you say a bit more about what does not work, do you get an
error message?

The minimum command-line for the Hurd console is "console -d vga -d
pc_kbd /dev/vcs" I think

> - otherwise it does install with these mods

Cool!

Thanks for your report,

Michael