Re: sysvinit and hurd

On 2004.06.09 13:01, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    > Miquel, could you please briefly explain what kind of features in
>    > the new libc do you need, and what kind of breakage would happen
>    > when using the old libc?
>
>    Older versions of glibc included the /etc/init.d/mountkernfs and
>    /etc/init.d/devpts.sh scripts. The latest initscripts package
>    includes a /etc/init.d/mountvirtfs script that takes over that
>    functionality.  glibc >= 2.3.2-12 doesn't include those scripts
>    anymore.
>
> I don't think that script gets installed on Debian GNU/Hurd.  And even
> if they did, they can't be run since they are GNU/Linux specific with
> their need for /proc...
>
>    Newer sysvinits need to depend on a glibc >= 2.3.2-12.
>
> Since Debian GNU/Hurd doesn't use sysvinit, just depending on libc0.3
> seems like a good enough solution I think, or just not listing libc0.3
> at all (as it is now AFAIK).

Wait, the Hurd doesn't use sysvinit at all ? I do get regular bugreports
saying "this needs to be fixed for the hurd" and "hurd needs a
hurd-specific inittab" and so on. Where does that come from, then ?
*confused* (see e.g. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=246743)

Okay, anyway, if the hurd doesn't use sysvinit then I only need to
bother with kFreeBSD. And I shouldn't have been posting here in the
first place, I guess ;)

Thanks,

Mike.