Re: first contact

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 02:42:00PM +0100, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 08:17:16AM -0500, Simon Law wrote:
>
> > 	VMWare is not supported software, and will not be as long as it
> > remains non-free.  Please see
> > http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/NewbieQuestions
>
> Of course the Hurd project shouldn't go out of its way to adapt to
> non-free infrastructure (how free are the algorithms in your x86,
> though?), but I have a little trouble combining your firm standpoint
> with the fact that the GNU project is making an effort to make Glibc run
> on Solaris, and GCC on Windows.
>
> Care to shed some light on that issue?

	Most definitely.  From what I have seen on this list, no
developer has gone and actively tried to get GNU/Hurd running inside
VMWare.  I remember one person saying that he'd develop for VMWare if it
were Free.  Thus, the statement.

	Now, if you were to submit patches that get it working, I'm sure
someone would consider using them.  I might even consider testing them,
as I have a valid copy of VMWare sitting on a system somewhere.

Simon