Re: Installation report

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 11:46:25AM +0200, Michael Krueger wrote:
> I have tested the new libio-enabled Debian GNU/Hurd system and I encountered some problems regarding some packages:

Thanks for the testing.  You are the first to test it in the current state
from scratch.

> libdb2 had to be removed because it pre-depends on the old libc0.2, not on libc0.3.
> Some important packages depend on this one, e.g. apt-utils. I think it should be rebuilt
> on the new system.

The pre-dependency is hard coded into the package, so a recompilation
doesn't fix it.  But version 2:2.7.7.0-7 fixes that, so we should build the
new version.

> "apt-get update" fails because the Packages file on
> 'ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main' can't be correctly parsed:
> * package libauthen-smb-perl has an empty "Depends:" section
> * package libweakref-perl has also the same problem
> Perhaps the maintainers of these packages should be contacted,
> or possibly this is a consequence of the libdb2 problem.

No, it is simply a consequence of building with a broken perl, or so.  I am
not sure, but it was fixed by recompiling, and the fixed packages will
enter the archive in 6 hours 30 minutes.

> Some important packages are still not in the archives:
> * screen (for virtual terminals)

Will be there in 6:30, suffered from the gid bug.

> * vim (*the* editor)

Emacs is there.  The hard thing about vim are the build dependencies.  Look
at the list and flinch.  Well, enough people care about it, or it will be
picked up by the autobuilder.

> * icewm or an other popular WM for X11

You've got your priorities right, mmh? :)  In fact, you forgot things like
dpkg in your list, but it is also uploaded.

> Nevertheless, you have done a great job creating this new libio-enabled
> Debian GNU/Hurd distribution. Many thanks to the folks out there!

Thank you.  Remember that we are still in the transition.  We hope to pick
up regular autobuilding soon, and then all those packages will certainly get
build.

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 11:14:00PM +1200, Philip Charles wrote:
> I should have baseHurd.tgz (the CD version of the tarball) built tomorrow
> and made some progress with the CD file-trees.

You might be interested in the cross-install and native-install files on
alpha.gnu.org in gnu/hurd/debian-staging.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de