Re: dpkg-shlibdeps, ldd and /usr -> .

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 12:25:29PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> I think the one great strength rpm's have over deb's is that they
> appear to have all there packaging stuff in one library, whereas we
> have bits and pieces scattered everywhere in all sorts of languages.

I would have trouble describing how much I hate producing .spec files.
And admittedly I haven't tried an RPM in a couple of years, last I
looked no dependancies would've been an improvement over what they
provided natively.

The advantage to the deb format is that anyone can develop tools to
improve the packaging.  So we get things like dbs, debhelper, debmake,
debconf, lintian, and all of that.  A process of natural selection
gets naturally applied as the developpers chose or refuse to use
various pieces.  I can't imagine the hassle we might have to go
through to get rpm to like us - And then the rather high risk of it
never being accepted upstream.  At least this way, as long as it
eventually turns into the right shaped archive with the bits in the
right place it's all good. =)

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
learning from failures is nice in theory...
but in practice, it sucks :)