X on hurd: no kbd support in MAKEDEV

Hi,

I am trying to get X running on hurd, however, when I go through
http://web.walfield.org/papers/hurd-installation-guide/english/hurd-install-guide.html#SEC16
things break when doing

 # ./MAKEDEV kbd
 ./MAKEDEV: kbd: Unknown device name

and indeed, startx gives me

 Cannot open keyboard (No such file or directory)

MAKEDEV is from the hurd 20011016-1 debian package.  I know this package
once included /hurd/kbd.  It no longer does, the changelog.Debian says
nothing about this (it just says:

  * Additional patches:
    kbd, mouse as usual.

)

Was kbd thrown out by mistake?  Is there some workaround?

Bye,

Joost

--
Es ist nicht notwendig, dasz du aus dem Haus gehst.  Bleib bei
deinem Tisch und horche.