oskit-mach dodgeyness and package compilation

I got a fresh oskit-mach out of CVS and compiled.

First problem was mig needing i386-gnu-gcc, so a link in /bin now points
that to gcc.  This implies that the mig package was cross-compiled;
is this the case?  Shouldn't it not be?

It all compiled ok and I tried to boot the resultant kernel.  The
output from the kernel was staggered over lines, much as what happens
when telnet goes dodgey.  What it reported wasn't very encouraging
either; problems with IRQ probes for IDE devices.  After that, it just
hung.

Unfortunately I've no time to debug or fiddle with any of this (I
lumbered myself with the task of rewriting the regex stuff in glibc as
the 3rd year project for my degree :)

Just by the by, I've now got a 1.4GHz Athlon, 512Mb ram system on a
512/128 Kbps cable connection.  This is dying to be used to compile
hurd packages but that area is black magic to me and, again, no time to
study the art.  If someone wants an account in order to take advantage
of this, I'd be only too happy.

Bob

--
Bob Ham:  bob@ham.org  http://pkl.net/~node/
IRC: 'node' on irc.openprojects.net: #slashdot  ICQ: 4396425 'node'

"The GNU philosophy is about freedom. To be free one must have
personal power. Personal power is an individual thing, difficult to
obtain and quick to perish." --Krisno Pryosusilo