Re: cross-compilation - the saga continues

Am Don, 27 Jul 2000 09:37:50 Seth Nickell Sie:
> > Are there special reasons why you want to cross compile?
>
> I'm trying to port/compile XFree86 4.0.1, and I hate working w/o
> x-terms. :-) Also I prefer to work w/ partitions over 1 gig when dealing
> w/ larger compiles like X + gnome.

If you are going to work on X, I am willing to lend a hand to make it
easier
for you :) (in simpler cases I tend to think that cross compilation is
not worth the trouble)

> > Have you tried make-cross?
>
> What is make-cross?

It makes a cheap but effective cross compiler for you.
Check alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/ghhk/make-cross or the Debian
source package of the same name at
ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/source/*/make-cross_*
(I believe it is "devel" for the *, but I am not sure)

If you use Debian, definitely use the source package. But even if not,
it can be instructive to look at it to understand how it works.