Different approach - harder to understand
I was reading Hurd.info and i would like to know if it's already
possible to have:
1. Transparent FTP - for example: cd /ftp/ftp.uu.net
2. Are those importants date correct ?
9 June 1997 Version 0.2
6 September 1996 Version 0.1
6 August 1996 Version 0.0 (Initial release)
"This mechanism is used quite obviously for mount. A mount point would
have a translator associated with it. When a user opens the mount
point, the translator, in this case, a program which understands the
disk format of the mounted filesystem, is executed, and returns a port
to the user."
What's this port !? It's a number ?
It's the same idea of port like: port 25 for mail, 22 for ssh, etc ...?
On Linux it's also possible to insert modules, rigth ?
The big differences on HURD are : (!?)
- doesn't need to be root user (uid=0)
- modules are not inserted inside kernel
- can be inserted as much modules has we want (there's no
- it's not called modules but program servers
5. Authentication Server
Could you explain me, on a simple way, for what it's needed ?
Authenticate users ? Kind of login server !?