Re: Hurd queries

On Tuesday 03 April 2001 23:33, Bob Ham wrote:

> Also, having a graphics driver is not the same as replacing X. You could
> run an X server that uses a Hurd graphics translator. This is kind of
> thing KGI/fb with the fb X server does. However, there is also the
> Berlin project whose aim *is* to replace X. Berlin seems to me to be a
> better choice for a GUI for GNU than X. I say this as everybody knows X
> is a *big* beast with lots of issues, both technical and otherwise (X
> license stuff.) Combined with the suitablity of the Hurd for a KGI style
> graphics system and Berlin's use of GGI (and hence KGI), this seems to
> me to be a very powerful arguement.

I sounded out the Berlin dev list about HURD compatibility a few weeks ago
and got this:

----begin quote
> As far as I can see, HURD (gnumach) lacks some fundamental things
> berlin needs (in particular pthreads - it only has cthreads IIRC).

well, if Prague's Thread classes could be implemented with cthreads that would
already do it.

> You would probably have to implement a lot of other things to get
> Berlin running on HURD (of course, feel free to do that, I'm sure the
> HURD folks will be grateful :).

right. An ORB and a Console API would be needed, just to begin with. Then
Prague needs to be ported. But that's basically all :)
All the system dependencies of berlin are encapsulated within these three
modules.
----end quote

Glenn Alexander - The man with no surname and a silly hat.
(Now avaliable in China!)

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~glenalec

I use LINUX: http://www.linux.org
and   KDE  : http://www.kde.org

If you gave an infinite number of monkeys an infinite number of typewr...
Hey! that's the internet!