grub install bug?

Hello,

If I try to install grub from a boot disk, with the following grub
commands:

root (hd0,0)
install /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) /boot/grub/stage2 p

However, it did not install grub. Instead, it corrupted my copy of
/boot/gnumach.gz! (gnumach required reinstalling before I could boot
The Hurd again).

I realized that on my Grub boot disk I have grub 5.93.1, while the
copy under /boot/grub on my hard disk was 0.95. Copying the older
version to /boot/grub fixed the problem.

Still, I am really surprised that grub corrupted gnumach.gz,
why should that happen?
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>