Problems with Etch->Lenny upgrade

Perhaps I should mention a problem I had upgrading Etch to Lenny.  I
made a Debian bug report about it because it seemed like it might be a
general Debian issue, but now I'm not so sure.

The gist of the issue is that df stops working after coreutils is
upgraded until the system is rebooted with a new kernel.  This causes
any package upgrade that depends on df (such as mysql) to fail - which
causes the whole upgrade procedure to fail.

I managed to get it going again by replacing df with a shell script that
just echo'ed a pretend output for df.

The Debian bug report is at