Re: [parisc-linux] Kernel panic while mounting a CD-ROM drive

On 6/17/05, J. L. Lee <jllee@singnet.com.sg> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  I set up my B2000 (with PCI Matrox Millennum II card) to run on kernel
> 2.6.11-rc6-pa1 a few days ago and was able to mount the CD-ROM drive and
> used it on several occassions. However it kept on causing kernel panic and
> froze the B2000 whenever I tried to mount the CD-ROM drive since today.
>
>  The difference then and now (since I last used the CD-ROM drive) is that I
> have installed successfully a X Windows package. Could this be the reason?

Sounds rather unlikely ...

> I have tried both init level 2 & 3 but this did not make a difference.
> Any idea what went wrong?

Perhaps you are using the ide-cd driver in the kernel?
It is known to cause a HPMC on PA ...
Make sure you don't have ide-cd (IDE ATAPI CD-ROM support) enabled
in the kernel, but use ide-scsi (IDE SCSI Emulation) instead
(and enable SCSI CD-ROM support).
You also might need to append "hda=ide-scsi" in your kernel boot
options (/etc/palo.conf)

   Max