Re: HPA4246A framebuffer device
sti=2 didn't work. Here's what I did:
With firmware: I switched the console from GRAPHICS(0) to GRAPHICS(4).
The info on IO shows that GRAPHICS(4) is on the HPA4246A card. Then I
did a reset and switched the monitor over to the HPA4246A card. Firmware
messages appear there.
Next, I booted selecting the "interact with IPL" option and changed sti=0
to sti=2. Here's the complete command line reported:
dmesg reports the following lines that may be relevant:
Linux version 2.4.18-32 (root@paer) (gcc version 3.0.4) #1 Sat Mar 30 18:26:22 MST 2002
FP enabled: Rev 0 Model 14
The 32-bit Kernel has started...
1. U2-IOA BC Runway Port (12) at 0xfff88000 , versions 0x580, 0xf, 0xb
2. Dino PCI Bridge (13) at 0xf2000000 [8/0], versions 0x680, 0x1, 0xa
3. Raven U/L2 Dino PS/2 Port (10) at 0xf2001000 [8/1], versions 0x6, 0x0, 0x96
4. Raven U/L2 Dino RS-232 (10) at 0xf2003000 [8/3], versions 0x6, 0x0, 0x8c
5. Raven U/L2 Core FW-SCSI (4) at 0xf200c000 [8/12], versions 0x3b, 0x0, 0x89
6. Raven U/L2 Core BA (11) at 0xffd00000 [8/16], versions 0x3b, 0x0, 0x81, additional addresses: 0xffd0c000 0xffc00000
7. Raven U/L2 Core Centronics (10) at 0xffd02000 [8/16/0], versions 0x3b, 0x0, 0x74, additional addresses: 0xffd01000 0xffd03000
8. Raven U/L2 Core Audio (10) at 0xffd04000 [8/16/1], versions 0x3b, 0x4, 0x7b
9. Raven U/L2 Core RS-232 (10) at 0xffd05000 [8/16/4], versions 0x3b, 0x0, 0x8c
10. Raven U/L2 Core SCSI (10) at 0xffd06000 [8/16/5], versions 0x3b, 0x0, 0x82
11. Raven U/L2 Core LAN (802.3) (10) at 0xffd07000 [8/16/6], versions 0x3b, 0x0, 0x8a
12. Raven U/L2 Core PS/2 Port (10) at 0xffd08000 [8/16/7], versions 0x3b, 0x0, 0x84
13. Raven U/L2 Core PS/2 Port (10) at 0xffd08100 [8/16/8], versions 0x3b, 0x0, 0x84
14. Raven Backplane Wax BA (11) at 0xffe00000 [8/20], versions 0x17, 0x0, 0x8e
15. Raven Backplane Wax HIL (10) at 0xffe01000 [8/20/1], versions 0x17, 0x0, 0x73
16. Raven Backplane RS-232 (10) at 0xffe02000 [8/20/2], versions 0x17, 0x0, 0x8c
17. Raven Backplane Wax EISA BA (11) at 0xfc000000 [8/20/5], versions 0x17, 0x0, 0x90, additional addresses: 0xffc88000 0xfc00000b
18. Gecko GSC Core Graphics (10) at 0xfa000000 [8/24], versions 0x16, 0x0, 0x85, additional addresses: 0xf0027000
19. U2-IOA BC GSC+ Port (7) at 0xf203f000 [8/63], versions 0x501, 0x1, 0xc
20. U2-IOA BC Runway Port (12) at 0xfff8a000 , versions 0x580, 0xf, 0xb
21. Coral SGC Graphics (10) at 0xf4000000 [10/12], versions 0x4, 0x0, 0x77
22. U2-IOA BC GSC+ Port (7) at 0xf103f000 [10/63], versions 0x501, 0x1, 0xc
23. Raven U 180 (9000/780/C180) (0) at 0xfffa0000 , versions 0x59c, 0x0, 0x4
24. Memory (1) at 0xfffb1000 , versions 0x72, 0x0, 0x9
STI word mode ROM at f0027000, hpa=fa000000
STI word mode ROM, id 2d08c0a7-9a02587, conforms to spec rev. 8.07
STI device: INTERNAL_EG_1280
STI byte mode ROM at f4000000, hpa=f4000000
STI byte mode ROM, id 2f8d570e-9a02587, conforms to spec rev. 8.05
STI device: HPA4246A
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 160x64
fb0: stifb 1280x1024-8 frame buffer device, id: 2d08c0a7, mmio: 0xfa100000
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
PS/2 keyboard port at 0xffd08000 (irq 69) found, device attached.
PS/2 psaux port at 0xffd08100 (irq 69) found, device attached.
Found HIL at 0xffe01000, IRQ 126
HIL: no keyboard present.
The id on the fb0: line matches the id for the internal device. The
kernel boots, but once the console is switched, I cannot see any of the
kernel boot messages. I can log into the machine via the net and
interact fine. Is there some subtle step I'm missing?
On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Helge Deller wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 April 2003 12:45 am, K. David Prince wrote:
> > I'm setting up one of our C180-XL machines. Debian 3.0 is installed and X
> > runs on the internal STI device. This machine has a second video card,
> > the HPA4246A. I'd like boot with this as our primary display. I've
> > changed the console to GRAPHICS(4), which is where firmware reports this
> > device, and, after reset, switched the monitor to this device. During
> > boot, I've changed the "sti=0" line to "sti=4".
> sti=0 -> use the default (default: first) card,
> sti=1 -> first detected card,
> sti=2 -> second detected card.
> You might want to try "sti=2" instead.