Re: Should jhc package be maintained by DHG?

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 01.02.2013, 15:22 +0900 schrieb Kiwamu Okabe:
> Now, I am trying to pack jhc <http://repetae.net/computer/jhc/> as
> Debian package.
>
> Should jhc package be maintained by DHG?

sure, why not.

> If jhc was maintained by only me, I have some questions for DHG.
>
> Q1. Should jhc's library package name has "libjhc-foo-{dev,doc}" on
> Debian package name space?

You say „jhc’s library package”, not “packages” – is there a single
package containing all libraries supported by jhc? Or are there several?

> Q2. Should jhc use cabal to maintain the library pacage?

Does Cabal support creating library with jhc? Does jhc have an
equivalent to ghc-pkg, i.e. a package database? Does it work the same
way? Does jhc even support compiled libraries, or does it need the
source (like hugs did)?

> Q3. Should jhc library packages share the source packages with ghc's?

If you are building from the same source, it should be in Debian only
once, so yes.

The same questions will come up for other compilers (fay, e.g.).
Unfortunately, supporting another compiler to the same extend as GHC
will be hard work – ~500 Haskell packages need to be touched, every
version bump will have to work with all compilers, a package not
building with one compiler will hold up the complete build. There is a
reason why we eventually dropped Hugs support for the library packages.