Debian on C3100 - question related to Xqt configuration

Hello all,

based on the advice of a member on this list ( thank
you Santiago!)I have reinstalled Debian on my C3100.

(Thank you to all the various email responses to my
previous question!)

I did the following:

1. Partitioned my harddrive into 3 partitions - in
addition to HDD1 and HDD2( 1.2 GB vfat, 2.5 GB ext3
and 128 MB swap)
2. I have installed Xqt to flash ( as per Santiago:
http://w3.mecanica.upm.es/~smuelas/debianxqt.html )
3. I have untarred the Zaurus debian big on Hdd4.

All works find with Xqt ( I think). I can launch it,
and rxvt comes up.

In rxvt I am able to chroot to debroot and I am able
to do apt-get upgrade, update etc.

However when I launch IceWM in debian, the screen
looks garbled. The IceWM menubar (which itself is
distorted) is on the right side of the screen (not top
or bottom) and I can see only one or two huge
characters, filling the screen.

I suppose, that either IceWM or Xqt is not configured
properly.

When I start Xqt from the console ( startx ), I see
something related to the screen being 480x640. This
could be a problem. But then why does rxvt work?

Are there any config files I could adjust? Or would
anyone have an idea what I else I should try here?

Thanks for your advice.

Miklos