debian zaurus vnc troubles

I was able to install the debian zaurus base package on my z. I am
having difficulties with fbvnc and the vncserver though. I can start up
the server and IceWM comes up.

If I try to open a terminal, the screen flashes as if its going to open
the terminal and then closes it immediately.

Also how do I switch between X11 and Opie, If I try to logout of IceWM,
the system just hangs till i hut it off by replacing battery.

I've been able to chroot /mnt/cart/debroot and play with apt. I get an
error while trying to install ssh though. when i try to reconfigure with
dpkg --configure ssh, it goes through the same config process and dies.
I read an email [1] stating that this error (PRNG is not seeded) could
be caused by not having the 'random' device compiled into the kernel.

# apt-get install ssh
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
ssh is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 40 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up ssh (3.8p1-3) ...
sh: line 1: /dev/null: Permission denied
sh: line 1: /dev/null: Permission denied
Creating SSH2 RSA key; this may take some time ...PRNG is not seeded
dpkg: error processing ssh (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
 ssh

Could not having the random device be causing this problem, or possibly
the use of chroot? (I'm running OZ3.3.6)

Has anyone had trouble with the above issues?
Any ideas on where to start with trouble shooting for answers?

tia
dsk

[1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-February/034883.html