Re: Debian on Zaurus status?

* Chris Larson <kergoth@handhelds.org> [2003-11-26 14:35]:

> > > Hasn't been touched in a few months, not much to it really.  Its just a
> > > matter of implementing the slot driver using the SPI interface on
> > > Sharp's locomo chip.  Time is the major limiting factor.
> >
> > Is the protocol documentation available for download somewhere? If so,
> > it's probably just a matter of a few nights' work before we have a
> > working SD/MMC driver for the PXA-based models -- or have the
> > handhelds people done that already for their ipaqs?
>
> They have that.  There are two MMC drivers, one in nico's trees, one in
> handhelds.org.  The handhelds.org one supports SD as well.  What we need
> isnt the protocol, just the low level slot driver for the specific
> hardware in question.  Most of the PXA models just use the existing pxa
> mmc controller, so its mostly done.  The only one that requires any
> amount of real work is the one for collie (5000d/5500), which uses a
> proprietary Sharp chip to interface with the sd/mmc cards.

forgive me for being new, but if the chip is proprietary, can drivers still
be written easily or is it more of a guess and check strategy?

Also I will be able to help out with any kind of development that needs
help after the first of January, 2004. I have to admit that I've never
really worked with building drivers before, but I'm very interested in
learning how to write drivers and I will learn what is necessary to do
it. Please let me know where you think I can help out the most.

derrick