Re: More questions about debian on Zaurus

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 01:33:07PM +0100, Simon Pickering wrote:
> Though I'm new I am a quick learner. My main goal is to have a working
> native X environment on my Z. Most of the stuff I use is X based and I
> presume I can find something to fulfil my PIM needs (which are basic).
>
> If I can manage a useful window manager then I'll have something to play
> with at least.

I'd still recommend going with the chroot / pivot_root-based approach and
having the entire distribution on an SD/MMC card - on Matt's system, the
root filesystem is in the built-in flash storage, you have to manually
move /usr and other large directories onto external storage. This can be
rather tricky to get right, and if you're not careful you can lock up
your system or run out of space at inconvenient times.

My "pocketworkstation" distribution does work natively on the SL-5x00 and
SL-C7x0 (using pivot_root to switch over entirely to the root filesystem
on the SD/MMC card), and contains a default icewm configuration. Nearly
all X11 apps work after a simple "apt-get install" as long as the space
for them is available.

Your problems getting it running seem to have been caused by the faulty
"tar" implementation distributed with the OZ system. Are you willing to
give it another try using GNU tar to unpack it
(http://www.w-m-p.com/software/pocketworkstation/gnu-tar.gz), or the
modified Crow ROM?

-Klaus