Re: kissattach: Cannot find serial device

Hello,

On 2010-06-29 21:01:04 +0200, Michael Renner <michael.renner@gmx.de>
wrote in <[🔎] 201006292101.04832.michael.renner@gmx.de>:
> Moin,
>
> I decided to start again with packet radio.
> According to do doku unter http://db0fhn.efi.fh-
> nuernberg.de/doku.php?id=doc:db0fhn:openvpn I set up an ip based connection
> through an openvpn tunnel. This work fine so far.
>
> The next step is to create the device ax0, but his fails:
>
> root@mars:~# kissattach /dev/ptyq1 ax0 192.168.254.1
> kissattach: Cannot find serial device /dev/ptyq1, no such file or directory.
>

> Do I need an udev-rule? Which one?

recent kernels do not have bsd-style pty support anymore (at least not
"by default").
kissattach from the cvs head also supports unix98-ptys.
Excerpt from the man page:

       The tty argument will typically be that of a serial port with a KISS or
       6PACK  TNC  attached,  although it could be a pseudo tty or a KISS port
       emulator such as an SCC card. Kissattach supports BSD-style pseudo-ter-
       minals as well as the Unix98 pty's. If the tty argument is "/dev/ptmx",
       then Unix98 behaviour will automaticaly take effekt. With Unix98 pty's,
       the  slave  tty  name  could not be forseen. That's why kissattach will
       print the corresponding slave pty name as a separate line on stdout.

Homepage of the project:
  http://www.linux-ax25.org/wiki/LinuxAX25

And yes, we have in mind that it's a good idea to get it into the next
debian release. There are just some parts left that should go in.

73,
	- Thomas  dl9sau