Re: GNOME 2.16 in Experimental

A status update: yes, good.

Le jeudi 01 mars 2007 à 10:50 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe a écrit :
> >       * GTK+: I've just received a patch for the most annoying bug
> >         (missing icons in the file chooser). However I'm afraid the
> >         filechooser API is still a nest for many other ones.

The most important issues in GTK+ have been solved now. The most
annoying filechooser issue remaining is that sometimes, after changing a
directory when saving a file, the filename to save is wiped out.
Otherwise there are tons of bugs fixed since 2.8.

> >       * Gnome-VFS: this one was moved to DBUS, which is an important
> >         change, but I haven't noticed any regressions so far. However,
> >         to benefit from the improvements nautilus needs to be updated as
> >         well.

I still have to see regressions in this module.

> >       * Icon themes: the icon naming scheme was entirely switched to
> >         Tango, but only for the default theme. Which means there is a
> >         lot to do to have other working icon themes. Help to migrate
> >         especially Gorilla, Gartoon and Nuvola is welcome.

See http://np237.livejournal.com/14833.html for Gorilla and Nuvola. As
for Gartoon, it still remains to be done.

> >       * gnome-themes: several themes have been removed without a clean
> >         upgrade path. This one is probably the matter of a few symbolic
> >         links.

Still needs to be done. I'm not sure it is that important, but it is
annoying in the sense that a missing theme will be replaced by the GTK+
default instead of Clearlooks. This could also be worked around in
gnome-settings-daemon.

> >       * evince: needs more testing. I noticed some issues with djvu
> >         support, but this may be bearable, or we could deactivate it. It
> >         also needs libpoppler1 which affects TeX as well.

Evince seems in very good shape - much, much better than in etch - but
the libpoppler1 ABI issue remains.

> >       * control-center: this one is rumoured to be horribly buggy. I can
> >         tell at least that the gswitchit code doesn't work *at all*.
> >         Even given enough delay for the rest of the work (which is
> >         unlikely), I'm not sure this one (and gnome-session which is
> >         entangled with it) could make it, and I don't know whether it
> >         will make it to unstable before 2.18.

There has been much improvement in the 2.16 cycle, and the gswitchit
issue turned out to be a Debian-specific bug in libxklavier.

> >       * Many packages depend on either GTK+, gnome-icon-theme, gnome-vfs
> >         or all of them, this is what is blocking most of them.
>
> What's the statues of these at this moment? I'd like to go for
> Experimental pretty soon, especially since I can't wait for the
> left-pane single click functionality now available in both nautilus
> and the GTK filechooser.

My opinion from using both is that currently, the experimental packages
are less buggy than those in etch. Everyone is welcome to test them and
report any issues.

--
 .''`.