Re: Problems starting up GNOME & KDE

<quote who="jw2137e26@yahoo.com">

> I couldn't find a way to fix this, perhaps because I don't know where
> GNOME (or gdm) keeps its log files, so I can look at them and try to make
> sense out of it.  It is also interesting that starting just a window
> manager (IceWM, Window Maker) will work.

Have a look at .xsession-errors in your home directory. That may help. It
sounds oddly like a sound card locking problem, but causing really horrible
failure. :-| Not sure, but have a look at .xsession-errors and see what you
can find.

> I'm just a beginner to Linux (having used Red Hat 9) and a newbie to
> Debian (after Red Hat stopped Red Hat Linux development) so please excuse
> me if my questions seem silly. Thanks for your help! :-)

Have you tried Fedora? That might be a good step on your way towards Debian.
;-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2005: Canberra, Australia                http://linux.conf.au/

       o/~ In spite of all those keystrokes, you're addicted to vim.
                              *ka-ching!* o/~