Re: Keyboard doesn't work under Gnome 2.6.

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 01:17:30 +0200, Laurent wrote:

> Funny thing, I have tried to launch Gnome 2.6 in a Xnest window
> (gdmflexiser --xnest) and it has worked after I had reassigned
> shortcuts for my multimedia keyboard with the keyboard gnome tool. Now,
> I can use my keyboard from a Xnest windows but not directly under Gnome 2.6 !

The multimedia keys seem to be the culprit. I'm trying to investigate
this further, and don't know if it's a bug or a configuration problem on
my part. Maybe you could try this, it worked for me:
1. First, in the keyboards shortcuts area, disable all multimedia
key bindings. See if thing work then.
2. If they do, then you know they're the source of the problem. Now, check
the keyboard layout you have set in gnome. If it is one of the generic
types (like pc-104), choose one of the multimedia keyboards (mine wasn't
listed, I picked ms natural keyboard pro).
3. Now set the multimedia key shortcuts again. By selecting the right
keyboard, you should see proper names for the keys like XF86Standby for
the sleep key instead of the hex-codes.
4. This should have worked, but after I logged off and on, I was
with a stuck keyboard again :(. The final change I made was to edit my
XF86Config-4 file. In the InputDevice section, I changed XkbModel from
pc104 to microsoftpro (you can look up the name of the keyboard you
selected from the gconf key /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb).
That's what has got my keyboard working for me now, multimedia keys
included.

I suppose the problem lies with gnome-settings daemon having problems
overriding the existing xkb layout. Try the steps above and see if it
works...

regards, MT