Re: Update to X 4.3 [SOLVED]

On 2004.03.24 18:01, Matt Brubeck wrote:
Andreas Schmidt wrote:

> I realize that. In synaptic, I selected all packages related to
Xfree
> that updates where available for. That's when I was shown the whole
> bunch of packages that were to be removed.

Why were these packages being removed?  What dependency was being
broken?

OK, seems to be related to xlibs after all. Some packages depend on just xlibs > 4.1.0, others on either libice6 or xlibs >4.1.0. libice6 conflicts with xlibs <4.3.0. So, these packages made no problems with xfree86 4.2.1 because xlibs fulfilled the dependency.

Seems to be some buggy behavior of synaptic after all. From the command-line, root@rocket:/home/pc# apt-get install --dry-run xbase-clients xfonts- 100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-scalable xfree86-common xfs xfwp xlibs xlibs-dev xnest xserver-common xserver-xfree86 xspecs xterm xutils xvfb | more works and reports no packages to be removed. When I mark all these packages for update in synaptic, I get the warning again. However, when I select all packages except xbase-clients, xbase-clients is listed among the packages to be upgraded and nothing is to be removed.

That's what made me feel a bit uneasy about upgrading xfree86 in the first place, I guess. I think, I'll give it at try, though. Shouldn't be as dangerous as I had imagined. :-)

Thanks to all for your hints,

Andreas