Re: gnome 2.6 packaging strategy

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 12:06:10AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo">
>
> >   Yes, this is an special package considering this. It usually needs
> >   more an "experimental" branch than a 2.4/2.6 one, though it can be
> >   needed someday. I talk about experimental branch as for now, version
> >   1.00 of it is in experimental, due to some problems with openh323 and
> >   pwlib, and this problems will happen again for sure.
> >
> >   How could we cope with this?
>
> We (everyone) really need to convince the maintainer to be more conservative
> in this regard. It is really hard to keep up with.

  Well, really the main problem is not only in gnomemeeting but in
  openh323 and pwlib changing ABI/API even between minor revisions. For
  example, the latest version released are those in experimental, but we
  cannot move them to Sid due to those problems.

  Anyway, I hope that the new created pkg-voip project in Alioth will
  allow us to manage all these things much better. I intend it to be
  something similar to GNOME Team, but focusing on recompiling packages
  when new libs with new ABI are available.

  Cheers,

--
Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
   jsogo@debian.org