Re: Inform user when currently running programs are upgraded

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:30:25AM +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> The only problem I can think of is that new values in the schemas are
> not applied straight away as gconfd doesn't monitor the tree for changes
> to the schemas nodes.  One solution is to simply "killall gconfd" in the
> postinst (the client library will handle that and restart it), but that
> isn't pretty.

The bug reports I've seen so far are caused by changes to the format of
a gconf field, e.g. the toolbar layout. The old galeon (still running
from before the update) reads the new values and fails. In this case,
it's the application that would need restarting rather than gconf.

--
  .''`. Mark Howard
 : :' :