Re: Gnome-print usage

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 13:33, Rob Taylor wrote:
> Agreed abou Desktop prefs->System - its not clear at all. a System
> Setting entry after Desktop Preferences sounds clear and logical. I'l try
> and have a look at doing this if alioth comes alive agin.

Red Hat do this, so we could still their small patch.

> > If you are going to use CUPS, then you could apply the Ximian Desktop 2
> > patches to libgnomeprint, which make the print dialogs a fair bit nicer
> > (but assume that CUPS is being used).  IIRC, this is one of the extra
> > options.
>
> Umm, I check out patches.ximian.com, biut only found one minor
> localisation patch again gnome-print. Should i be looking elsewhere?

Hm, I thought they had patched libgnomeprintui.

> > > 2) Addition of ability to install ppd from a driver disk in
> > > gnome-cups-manager
> >
> > You'd need to aquire root access for this somehow -- as far as I know
> > gnome-cups-manager can run as a normal user as it talks to CUPS to do
> > the work, which can become root.
>
> gnome-cups-manager already askes the user for a root password when it
> needs it (e.g. adding a new printer)

I had always assumed it was simply used as the username/password when
talking to CUPS (which needs the root password), and gnome-cups-manager
itself didn't actually acquire root rights.

> > > 3) Panel application for printer status and queue management
> >
> > As Sebastien pointed out, gnome-cups-manager comes with this.
>
> Yeah. I finally figures that i needed a notification tray to see it..
> (doh). It would be good if we can make gnome-cups-manager check that the
> user has a notification tray and to set gnome-cups-icon to load on gnome
> startup. Also would be nice to provide a method for the user to open the
> queue window even if its empty.

Sadly, adding stuff to the session is not possible without running it at
some point.  gnome-cups-icon *should* add itself into the session if you
start it and then save the session.

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com