Re: Re: gtk 2.4 and gnome 2.6

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 12:19, Raphaël "SurcouF" Bordet wrote:
> Le mar 09/03/2004 à 17:17, Ross Burton a écrit :
>
> > > I think there is a better chance of G2.6 getting in testing if it is
> > > worked on in unstable. Even though G2.4 is 'frozen' in testing, I
> > > think that an attempt should be made to get G2.6 in testing and
> > > getting G2.6 in unstable is the fastest way to do that.
> >
> > But what if we don't make it? There will be a possibly buggy G2.4 in
> > testing, which we cannot correct easily.  By putting G2.6 into
> > experimental we keep it separate until it's ready, at which point we
> > push into unstable. If we start to realise we're not going to make 2.6
> > for Sarge, we've got a fallback position with no hastle.
>
> If we'll putting Gnome 2.6 into unstable and there were are some RC
> bugs, what's matter ? Theses packages cannot be pushed into testing...

You'll end up with this funky hybrid G2.4/G2.6 release in that case. I
think Gentoo did that when they up'd to G2.4 (from G2.2), and it wasn't
the prettiest picture. And with G2.6 we have a new GTK+ release as well.
Ross is right in this case I believe. GTK+ can get added since its
independent. But it just makes more sense to build up the G2.6 release
into experimental, the drop it into unstable. If you really want G2.6
there are a number of other ways to build it (jhbuild, garnome, etc).

surcouf@choranche.grotte.org
--
Link Dupont <link@subpop.net>