Re: Don't have preferences anywhere.

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 22:00, zertggfda zertggfda wrote:
> Hi there, I'm zertggfda and I have a problem.
>
> Recently I installed gnome-core 46 in Sid using Synaptic, I then tried to
> set my preferences.
>
> The problem is, I couldn't find them. There were no entries in
> menu/applications/preferences and when I runned gnome-control-center all I
> got was an empty nautilus window.
>
> I also presume that the "start here" icon in the desktop does something
> useful, all I get is the same empty nautilus window.
>
> I then tried to install gnome 46, aka: everything but the Kitchen Sink, but
> all I got in return was 80Mb of free hard drive but still no preferences.
>
> Pertinent information(?): I'm running unstable with kernel 2.6.3 in a x86.
>
> I'm receptive to sugestions, pearls of wisdom or shoulders to cry on.
>
> Thank You.
> --
> Adira j ao Net Dialup Light. Acesso profissional gratuito.
> NovisNet, a Internet de quem trabalha. http://www.novisnet.pt

Maybe this would help... not sure:

$> dpkg -L gnome-control-center | grep /usr/bin
/usr/bin/gnome-settings-daemon
/usr/bin/gnome-accessibility-keyboard-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-at-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-default-applications-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-font-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-background-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-keyboard-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-mouse-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-sound-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-file-types-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-theme-manager
/usr/bin/gnome-ui-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-keybinding-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-network-preferences
/usr/bin/gnome-window-properties
/usr/bin/gnome-control-center
/usr/bin/gnome-theme-thumbnailer
/usr/bin/themus-theme-applier
/usr/bin/gnome-thumbnail-font
/usr/bin/gnome-font-viewer
/usr/bin/gnome-typing-monitor

$> dpkg -L gnome-control-center | grep .desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/accessibility-keyboard.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/at-properties.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/default-applications.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/font-properties.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/background.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/keyboard.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/mouse.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/sound.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/file-types.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/gtk-theme-selector.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/behavior.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/keybinding.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/gnome-network-preferences.desktop
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/capplets/window-properties.desktop
/usr/share/applications/gnomecc.desktop

$> apt-cache show gnome-control-center
Package: gnome-control-center
Section: gnome
Installed-Size: 6572
Maintainer: Christian Marillat <marillat@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: control-center
Version: 1:2.4.0-5

Open Nautilus and type in the location bar:
preferences:///

That should do it? Maybe you don't have enough memory installed for
Gnome to render your menus correctly or something somewhere else is
broken?

Try backing up your $HOME and using a completely empty $HOME directory
when logging on to Gnome again... etc...
If you read the archives of this list you might find a lot of ways of
troubleshooting Gnome "the debian way".

--
Luis M

lemsx1@latinomixed.com
Being overloaded is the sign of a true Debian maintainer. -- JHM on
#Debian

http://www.latinomixed.com/