Re: esd, other processes not reaped after end of session

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 02:03:16PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 05-Jun-04, 21:56 (CDT), Luis M <lemsx1@latinomixed.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-05-29 at 16:19 -0700, Karl Hegbloom wrote:
> > > Any ideas?  I really think this ought to be done BEFORE the Sarge
> > > release!  It's so annoying.  I am willing to file a formal bug report,
> > > but I'm not certain what to file it on...  It's something that will
> > > require the co-ordinated efforts of all of the Gnome team, I'm afraid.
> >
> > I'm not sure about other daemons that get started automatically by
> > Gnome, but in the case of esd, you have the choice to tell it to kill
> > itself after N seconds of not being used. My esd config file is like:
>
> That's a fine workaround, but it really fails the "Just Works" idea. If
> GNOME starts a daemon on startup, it should kill it on exit.
>
> For example, if I upgrade GNOME, just logging out and then back
> in can cause problems, since I don't necessarily get a new
> bonobo-activation-server.

Ok, what is the status of this problem. I have a feeling that this
merits RC status, and should be fixed ASAP. I am a lone gnome user
though, so i don't experience this much. Do you know if gnome 2.6 did
solve this ? Also, is this a problem of gnome and esd alone, oand should
be fixed there, or do we want a global ressource.

I would fill a RC bug against esd ASAP, and we can sort this out later.
(And BTW, i now have a vested interest in seeing that fixed, so let's
work on it :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther