Re: Testversion of synaptic 0.50 available

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 05:02:31PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 08:33, Michael Vogt wrote:
> > On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 09:21:19PM +0200, Ole Laursen wrote:
> > > Michael Vogt <mvogt@acm.org> writes:
> > > I have been wishing to use a graphical client for ages, but have grown
> > > used to the automatic dependency management in Aptitude - so that if a
> > > package is installed automatically to fulfill a dependency, it is also
> > > removed automatically when it is not needed anymore. Do you support
> > > that?
> >
> > No. This is a feature is planed as a long-term goal. But we don't have
> > it yet.
>
> <off-topic>
> Speaking of which, this is something which should really be standardized
> between the various packaging front-ends.  It's very annoying to have
> built up a list of wanted packages in debfoster, then have them all
> ignored by aptitude, and build up a new list there to have it ignored by
> synaptic...
>
> As a user, I'd much appreciate having a standard place where such things
> are stored across these different apt frontends.  Thanks.
> </off-topic>

I totally agree. The problem is that apt itself does lack some
features. That's why all front-ends come up with there own solutions.

IMO package auto tracking belongs into apt itself. So it shouldn't
matter if you install something via apt-get, aptitude or synaptic (or
any other apt fronend) you always get correct tracking. The same
should be true for various other metadata like e.g. the "new" flag and
the "hold" flag.

But this is another long-term goal and it's really a lot of work.

bye,
 Michael