Re: VTE performance fixes for interested souls

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 08:37:23PM -0500, James D Strandboge wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 23:03, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > There's been some grumbling about the performance of GNOME's new terminal
> > widget, vte, here and in other places. Just wanted to let you know that
> > Nalin has released 0.10.20, which goes a very long way to fixing most of
> > these (with performance diagnostics by Ingo Molnar)...
>
> This indeed would rock, except that with 0.10.20 I had a slowdown of
> approx 2 seconds over 0.10.17.  On my system it was a little over 4secs
> for 0.10.17 and over 6secs for 0.10.20.
>
> What about other people?
>
> Anybody else have similar findings?

vte's transparency handling is still much slower than zvt's. I don't care so
much about moving windows, but opening new windows and getting cursor response
is a bit of a drag. Otherwise, vte feels just fine, even compared to a
resource-fluffed xterm. The above benchmark ran quickly on my machine.

Ryan