gnome slow on PowerBook

Running Debian Testing on PowerBook 17 1GHz,
2.4.22 kernel.
GNOME is 2.4 from unstable distro.
X server is xfree86 from experimental distro (require > 4.3 for my hardware)

gnome takes for ever to startup. The splash screen appears on the screen pretty quickly but just sits there.
After 10 minutes or so it goes away and the sawfish window manager appears.
After about 1.5 hours, the gnome desktop appears with the menu and clock in the top panel and the workspace switcher in the bottom panel.

Why is it so slow?
I get errors during boot regarding ALSA. Could that be a problem? Is /dev/dsp required? I also got a message saying mixer applet could not be loaded (or something like that), do you want to delete it? I said yes and haven't seen the message since.

I would love some clues on this?
Does this sound like a kernel problem or a mondule not loaded?
Is it a gnome problem in Debian only or or others seeing similar things?
The symptoms are the same when starting from gdm or kdm and I think also xdm.

How can I debug this further and narrow down what the problem is?

Many thanks,
Brendan Simon.