Re: Nautilus2 from gnome2/woody reposiroty crash

Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> writes:

>> Ok, did the tests, and the correction is to add the following line to
>> the screen section in XF86Config-4 :
>>
>> Option "XaaNoScreenToScreenCopy"
>>
>> With this line, no more lock ups, but the X system is too sluggish for
>> any real use (specifically when moving a window).
>
> What about Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" or Option
> "XaaNoPixmapCache"?

Thanks a lot : XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps solved the problem without any
noticeable performance hit. I have received other possible solutions
to the problem, but I won't try them as I really don't like to try to
lock my box if I don't really have to.

Now I heard gnome2 is due in unstable in the beginning of August, so I
think I'll wait untill then to upgrade so I don't have package name
problems.

>> So for now exit gnome2 for me until a usable fix surfaces...

> This is an X driver bug (which one are you using?). It's a matter of
> time until something else triggers it.

I knew that, and was not blaming gnome2 at all for triggering the
bug. This was only a sad statement. Now I know I can try gnome2 when
it reaches unstable, which is a good thing. People also told me that
X4.2 didn't show the bug, so I'll upgrade to that when it reaches
unstable too and try to disable the option and see what happens.

BTW, my driver is Nvidia's closed driver. The open source nv driver
doesn't exhibit the bug, but then I don't have 3d acceleration, which
is fundamental for screensavers :-)

Thanks a lot for the help,
--
Rémi

`Debian: giving you the power to shoot yourself in each
 toe individually.' -- with kudos to Greg Lehey