Re: Missing man pages

On 19-Jul-02, 00:27 (CDT), Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >> "JM" == Jordi Mallach <jordi@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 08:55:08PM +0200, Christian Marillat wrote:
> >> All GNOME binaries doesn't need manpages. you just need to click on a
> >> menu item to ran an application.
>
> > We're talking about a Debian/Sun policy, not what users need to do...
>
> User don't care about Debian/Sun/Microsoft policy, users wants a working
> desktop.

This user also wants useful man pages. I realize you newbies :-) don't
know from man pages, but many of us old geezers are used to have 'man
foo' tell us useful things about a program, and just running from the
menu is not it. Particularly given the sometimes pitiful state of help
files.

Note that this doesn't mean that I think the Debian maintainers are
obliged to write 30 page treatises on a given program, nor is a long
list of the standard GNOME switches required for each program. But a
two- or three- line description of what the program does, plus docs for
any switches that are unique to that program, plus a reference to where
more documentation may be found is well worth it.

I don't have any idea why the upstream is rejecting useful manpages, but
if they are, then we and the Sun people will have to maintain our own.
Hopefully Sun will be willing to combine efforts with this, and perhaps
the other distributions.

That policy was not just conjured out of thin error to annoy
maintainers.

Steve, GNOME User.

--
Steve Greenland