gnome2 apps crash and freeze x

Hello,

   I am having a frequent problem when I running gnome2 (or some gnome2 app).  After some time running the program (mainly gthumb2 or nautilus, or mainly when I am dealing with graphics in an app.) X just freezes.  If I log into the machine from another computer I notice that XFree86 is taking up 99% cpu.  And by trying to kill or reboot the system, the whole system crashes forcing me to hit the reboot button.   Also the same thing happens when I try to run gimp-1.3, and it freezes X when it starts up.

--  Shawn