Re: GNOME2 again (Re: Debian Weekly News - September 17th, 2002)

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 12:53:11PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> The best thing to do right now is to prepare Gnome2 in experimental
> without any of the *2 suffix that packages currently have.

Not that I have a big problem with this, but I really think the other
way round (gnome-foo2 in unstable, temporarily) gives us a lot more gain:
- it's autobuilt, we can work out porting bugs right now, not after we do
  the final move
- ppc, alpha, sparc, etc users can use g2 too.
- The archive bloat would just be temporary. When we decide to rename the
  stuff, the foo2 packages go away.
- g2 could possibly enter testing, with foo2 names, getting more testing.
- nothing in experimental, which not so many people use.

But as I said, if people want to go the other way round, let's do it.
I'm a i386 user anyway.

Jordi
jordi@sindominio.net     jordi@debian.org     http://www.sindominio.net/
GnuPG public key information available at http://oskuro.net/~jordi/