Re: Random name-resolution failures since glibc-2.1.94 upgrade?

Hi Herbert!

On Wed, 01 Nov 2000, Herbert Xu wrote:

> Peter Palfrader <ppalfrad@cosy.sbg.ac.at> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe it is a misconfiguration, but I don't hope so:
> > marvin:~# cat /etc/hosts
> > 127.0.0.1       localhost
> > 192.168.112.2   marvin.ibk.palfrader.org
>
> > # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
> > # (added automatically by netbase upgrade)
>
> > ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> > fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> > ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> > ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> > ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> > ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
>
> I suspect that it's just trying to lookup localhost for IPv6.  Try putting
> in a ::1 localhost and see what happens.

Ahh thanks. So ssh/telnet now that they are ipv6 enabled try ipv6 hosts file,
then ipv6 dns if they cannot find an AAAA entry they fall back to ipv4 dns.

the ipv4 entries in hosts file get ignored unless I force ssh to use ipv4
addresses only.

weird.
					yours,
					peter