Re: IPsec and VPN

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 07:15:25PM +0200, Martin Slouf wrote:
> im starting to play with VPN and IPsec.  Im still using kernel 2.4
> (2.4.27) and i downloaded and compiled Openswan-2.1.5.
>
> Id just like to ask, what is your experience (positive/negative) with
> this software and, if negative, whether you can suggest me st
> else/better.

OpenS/WAN is quite nice. It can handle dynamic IP addresses and NAT
well. The latency is a little higher than with VPN appliances. But that
usually does not matter.

It still has some bugs though (http://bugs.debian.org/openswan). If you run
the "snmpd" at the same time your system will kernel panic at the first
SNMP read attempt. That's why I still use FreeS/WAN - which is not
really making a difference in terms of configuration.

 Christoph

--
~
~