From: Didar Hussain [mailto:didar@uics-india.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 01, 2004 5:29 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Debianised Firewall

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 02:31:21PM +0100, Sam Halliday wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
> > Sam Halliday wrote:
> > >cheers... but i do not need a way to generate rules; i already know
how
> > >to do that. i just want to know if there is a standardised debian
way of
> > >(customised) `iptables-save` output into. else i will just write my
own
> > >initscript.
> > I know how to write in assembler too, but I generally don't.
>
> :-) yeah... but i actually have an iptables script lying around, so
its just a case of copying it to /etc/init.d and making a symlink... but
i'd prefer not to do such a homemade job of it.

Well, I use the /etc/init.d/iptables script. It is pretty good, although
the author seems to be self-depreciatingly skeptical about it :-)

After you have your IPTables firewall loaded you can simply do:

/etc/init.d/iptables save active

This will save your firewall rules. Now, you can simply do:

dpkg-reconfigure iptables

select "yes" to the dialog box. This will create the appropriate
symlink to /etc/init.d/iptables in /etc/rcS.d/, /etc/rc0.d/ and
/etc/rc6.d/

HTH,

Didar

--

It's later than you think.

                  Random signature generated by Signify v1.07
                             http://www.debian.org/