Re: How-to modify /etc/init.d/networking for stopping IPTables?

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Stefan Srdic wrote:

> > On Sun, 6 Jan 2002 10:37:30 -0700
> > Stefan Srdic <linuxbox@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> >
> > (First: Please don't CC: people on replies for a Debian list, unless
> > they've asked you to :) It's generally considered a bit rude.)

[ Not exactly my opinion on the subject ]

> Sorry about that, hard to know your being rude when you've never been taught
> manors :-D
>

> Oh well, completely reseting IPtables is good enough, I just wanted to remove
> the kernel modules to releive my system.

run 'lsmod' and see if other modules are using iptables. You'll have to
remove them first.

But in what way does it "releive" your system?

The memory overhead is negligable, and I believe that the prforance
overhead is negligable with all the rules flushed (you're welcome to test
this, of course).

Will your system be running much of the time with iptables disabled?

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:tzafrir@technion.ac.il